Monday, February 16, 2015

#Microblog Mondays--Forgiveness


And just to clear the air
I ask forgiveness for the things I've done you blame me for. 

But then I guess we know there's blame to share

And none of it seems to matter anymore. 
--Stephen Schwartz--Wicked

The last time I saw my mother she was unable to speak. 

I took her hand and she clenched mine back. She knew I was there. She knew who I was. 

I told her that I loved her. I told her that I would take care of my father. I told her that she was an amazing mom, and it was okay. She could go, and I would be okay. 

I kissed her hand and left her.  

I don't regret that last day. I don't regret what I said. I just wish I might have said that I forgave her for all the stupid stuff. I know she forgave me for the stupid stuff. And none of it seems to matter anymore. 

2 comments:

  1. When you held her hand and she squeezed it back, all was forgiven. In the face of that love, all is forgiven.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You both forgave each other with your hearts, even if the words weren't spoken.

    ReplyDelete