Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Microblog Monday (Even though it is Tuesday) Books?

One of the side effects of my grief was that I was unable to read.

I had already lost my job in publishing, but if I hadn't I don't know if I would have managed to keep it through my reading dry spell.

To explain--I am a voracious reader. My house has thousands of books--not hundred--thousands. I have, several years running, read over 144 books in a year. So when I say that following my mother's death, I was unable to find the concentration to lose myself in a book; I want you to understand what I mean. When I did get through a book again, it was a reread. For a time, I could only reread books. I could only reread books by one author--but I'll go into that on a later post.

But now, I can read. I've read four new books since January 1. I would like recommendations. I have been gravitating towards the frothy, but I could do with a meaty book. Just no children in terrible danger...I can't do that.

What do you recommend?

2 comments:

  1. The best book I read last year was The Martian by Andy Weir - a thriller set on Mars (no aliens) that is both gripping and FUNNY.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm loving the Magicians trilogy by Lev Grossman, if you want that for a recommendation.

    I am behind impressed with 144 books per year. I get NOWHERE close to that.

    ReplyDelete