Monday, November 16, 2015

Vive le France--Microblog Monday

It is my favorite scene in one of my favorite movies.

In Casablanca, the Nazi's are singing their anthem and Victor Lazlo tells the band to play Le Marseilles, the French National Anthem. The reaction of the crowd at Rick's is electric.

But that's not my favorite part.

My favorite part is about 55 seconds into the clip--where the German anthem and the French Anthem combine to form a perfect harmony. I think it was the director's way of saying that peace could be possible. Harmony could be possible.

But it took an act of terror to accomplish it.

For those who forget their history, Germany and France are enemies. They reached a detente in the last few decades, but there is a lot of bad blood there.

If you click here you'll find the Brandenburg Gate in Germany lit up with the colors of the French flag to show their solidarity with France.

I'm sure that's not what ISIS intended--but it is what happened. And it gives me hope.  That in the depths of war--harmony is possible.  In horrific acts there is the consequence that two historic enemies can embrace.


2 comments:

  1. I'm glad to see someone focusing on the bringing together of people. So many places I look today, people are writing statements that divide people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, my favourite movie too!! :) And that's a truly memorable scene -- very appropriate for this week. But you know, until you pointed it out, I never realized that point about the French & German songs coming together in harmony. Thank you for that! I have seen "Casablanca" umpteen times and I never get tired of it -- there is always some new little detail that I notice that adds to my appreciation of just how perfect a movie it is. :)

    ReplyDelete