Monday, November 9, 2015

Microblog Monday--What is missing from my table

Someone just asked me for my mom's noodle kugel recipe.

I have to ask one of my nieces about it. Why? I loved most of the stuff mom made, but this was an exception. It wasn't a favorite. (Noodles should be savory, not sweet in my opinion.)

Well the person who asked was horrified. How on earth did I have Thanksgiving or Rosh Hashanah without mom's noodle kugel. It took quite a lot for me not to say, "We're having a lot more trouble dealing without having mom there, much less the kugel." I didn't.

I am wondering though, what is missing from our Thanksgiving--food wise, I mean.

Here is my menu.

Turkey
Gravy
Corn casserole
Dressing (made from Challah in the crockpot)
Green Bean Casserole
Roasted Veggies
Salad
Mashed potatoes
Sweet Potato casserole (for the four people who want it. but one of those is me so...)

What do others serve?


3 comments:

  1. Before dinner, smoked bluefish, cheese spreads, and crackers

    First course
    Varies, sometimes crab cakes, sometimes soup. Mom can't eat seafood and I don't eat soup so one of us skips this to get things ready for the next course

    Main course
    Turkey
    Gravy
    Stuffing (OK, technically "dressing" because it's not baked in the turkey; baked in the flattest dish possible for the maximum percentage of "crispy bits")
    Mashed potatoes
    Turnips
    Homemade bread
    Cranberry sauce (homemade)
    Something green (depends on what looks good - asparagus, snow peas, broccoli)

    Dessert
    Apple pie
    At least two cakes or a cake and another (Key Lime, Lemon Merringue) pie (we have at least 3 things that get sliced into)
    Cookies (sometimes only one kind, sometimes two or three kinds)

    No casseroles - no one likes them. And no pumpkin pie for the same reason. Also, we have a turkey breast instead of a whole turkey because everyone prefers white meat. And I'm probably missing something.

    Mom considers it a failure if there's room on the table for candles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Appetizers: vary, but usually involve multiple cheeses
    Dinner: turkey, gravy, green beans (no casserole), mashed potatoes, orange-cranberry bread, orange cranberry sauce
    Dessert: pumpkin pie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Holidays without loved ones are so difficult. I'm still missing my dad, and we lost him in 2001.

    Our usual menu -

    Pre dinner - veggie platter, crackers & cheese, olives, mixed nuts

    Dinner - turkey, stuffing, gravy, green beans, squash, mashed potatoes, dinner rolls, cranberry sauce

    Dessert - some kind of pie (usually pecan, pumpkin, apple) and whatever the eldest (20) feels like experimenting with.

    ReplyDelete