Monday, December 18, 2017

Microblog Monday - Right to know

Lotus had a dentist appt today.  (2 cavities--eek)

But the thing that has been going through my mind was a conversation with the staff of her pediatric dentist's office.

I overheard a phone call that the assistant took. The side I heard went like this.
"Are you a new patient?"
Pause
"We're always happy to have new patients. Let's see when we can get you in."
Pause.
"I'm glad to answer any questions."
Pause
"I'm sorry. I don't know the political leanings of the doctors. I've never asked them."
(This is when I started listening.)

"Well, they don't tell me who they voted for as they are cleaning a child's teeth. Nor would I want them to."
Pause.
Long pause.

"Ma'am, I'm sorry, I will not answer that."
I could hear some squawks from the phone now.
"Ma'am, My vote and my political leanings are no one's business but my own. And I will not ask my coworkers who they voted for."
Pause
"Well I'm sorry you feel that way."
The secretary hang up the phone.

I went over to her. "Did she just ask you---"
"if we are Trump Supporters, yes. She's not the first. Won't be the last." I said she handled it well and they called Lotus back so I went with my kid.

Never would I ask a doctor who they voted for. Never. It is totally irrelevant. I'm stunned. I don't know if the person on the phone wanted a Trump supporter or not, but I don't care. This is something that is just wrong.

I do not support the current administration and I have no problem saying that.

If I were in an ambulance what I want is my doctor's skill. I want my doctor's knowledge. Even in this horrific political climate the last thing I'm thinking about is who my doctor voted for. I trust the medicine. I trust the knowledge.

I have a right to know where he or she went to school. I have a right to know if there are cases pending against him or her. I have no right to know his or her political affiliation, religion, or sexual orientation.

And I don't care.
This pediatric dentist is amazing. They paint my daughter's nails so she sits still to let the nail polish dry as they check her teeth. She leaves the office smiling.

That's all I care about.

2 comments:

  1. Wow--that is all I have to say. Except? That I'm with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy! That one throws me. In complete agreement with you and completely thrown at the same time.

    ReplyDelete