Monday, February 20, 2017

Microblog Monday - We have something in common. We can build on this.

Hey Trump Voters.

I'm not going to ask you how you feel about your choice.
If you're happy and you think he's doing wonderful things and you like the idea of the United States being a part of Russia--nothing I say is going to change your mind. Nothing you say is going to change my mind and the best we can do is wish each other a great day and start talking about the Mets. (I'm really liking their chances this year--just saying.)

But maybe there is someone out there who voted for Trump who is maybe not feeling too happy about their choices. Maybe we can talk.

In the words of David Addison of Moonlighting.

Hey--let's talk about books. Me? I read left to right--how about you?
And when I'm in temple I read right to left--you?

We have something in common. We can build on this.

Let's talk about eating. I like to eat.
I have food allergies. Do you know someone who has food allergies?

We have something in common. We can build on this.

Let's get deep and talk about sex.
Who would have guessed it! I like sex too!
I think everyone should have plenty of sex with whoever it is that they love.
You?

We have something in common. We can build on this.

I'm not talking about people on the far right and far left-- they are forgetting that there are more people in the middle. I am in the middle. I want to talk to others in the middle.

If we don't--that is when America will die.  It won't be because of the current President. It won't even be because of the current Congress  America will die because we forgot that the people on the right side of the aisle cries tears when they are hurt--the same way those on the left side of the aisle do.

I live in New Jersey. I love my child with every breath in my body.
I believe that the woman in Kansas loves her child with every breath in her body

I am a Jew and my religion fills something in my soul.
I believe that Muslims and Christians find something in their religions that fill something in their souls.

I am a woman and I am deeply in love with a man.
I believe that love is so deep that it transcends gender.

We have something in common. We can build on this. Let's start to try.










7 comments:

  1. Yes. If only everyone could just meet in the middle and go from there. That's one thing I have never understood about politics, everyone on their own sides refusing to just do what is best for the good of the people. We are all human. Let's build on that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautifully said, and finding those moments of connection are so important for actually bringing the conversation forward.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wouldn't those be wonderful conversations?

    ReplyDelete
  4. If only more people focused on the things that they have in common, rather than dividing everyone and everything into us and them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If anything gets us out of the current atmosphere, it will be building on commonalities. Well said, JW.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Agreed -- there's so much us vs them now, on both sides, when as you said -- there's so many commonalities there, so many ways to make connections that will make a conversation possible. And hopefully a new future that doesn't scare the crap out of me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm in the middle, too. This is a great post. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete