Monday, March 27, 2017

Microblog Monday - And You

And You*


When I get angry at Lotus, 
or she's done something she knows 
she's not supposed to,
she will cry. 

"I want my mommy!" She'll say. 
She will say this clutching to me.
Her face
buried into my very ample stomach
and breasts. 

"I want Mommy." She cries. 

"I'm right here." I say, holding her close.
"I'm here, baby."
"I'm not leaving."

What she means sometimes is
she wants mommy, 
the one who isn't mad at her,
and is fun.

And I generally get this through my brain,
and I rock her,
and she stops crying,
and she says sorry,
and we're okay. 

Sometimes she cries for mommy
as I am holding her
and I realize there's another woman she's crying for.
a woman who she lived with for five days.

A woman whose heartbeat she heard,
while she was getting ready to be born.

A woman who chose to give birth to her, 
and then made the 
heart-wrenching
unimaginable 
decision 
to leave her to be found 
and cuddled 
and loved 
by strangers. 

Lotus cries for that mommy. 
She misses her.
That woman who looks at the world 
from eyes that are like her own.
That woman who,
I imagine,
Aches for my crying little girl
in ways I cannot imagine.
And I don't want to . 

When Lotus does this
We hug each other very hard
and send our love out
and hope China Mommy
can feel it
can understand 
this is the best I can do 
to pay the enormous debt that I owe 
this woman with 
my daughter's face. 

And one time
After being scolded
Lotus said she wanted mommy.
I realized and asked.
"China Mommy?"
She nodded.

Then
tearfully
She raised her head 
tears soaking  er face
tears soaking my breast
to look me in the eye. 

"I want China Mommy." she said 
lifting her hand to my chin
"And You."

Her head returned
just above my heart
as more tears fell. 

I held her,
and rocked her, 
and internally praised her intelligence. 
Because my four-and-a-half-year-old daughter
summed up adoption angst
in two words. 





* The style of this post is a tribute to the book Brown Girl Dreaming by Jacqueline Woodson. I am in the middle of this amazing book told in verse so I tried to do a blog post in verse.  Was I successful?  Let me know. 
 






6 comments:

  1. My gosh, this is so achingly beautiful. It made me cry. So profound, but children have a way of doing that, pulling these complex emotions and thoughts seemingly out of nowhere. My heart aches after reading this. Amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, you were successful! What an incredible post. Thank you for sharing and proud of you for attempting this style. What a tribute to your daughter, her China Mommy and you. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes! Definitely successful. This was beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. this was beautiful, and communicated so well the emotions that came with experiencing these moments....

    thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! Yes, this verse attempt was a complete success - hit me right in the feels!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You were VERY successful. I felt rocked by the words. Especially this: "this is the best I can do
    to pay the enormous debt that I owe
    this woman with
    my daughter's face"

    ReplyDelete